Thread: Contexts?
View Single Post
I like it too, but I can't see how it works in OF, because you are not allowed to assign multiple contexts and cannot use tags. So either you assign a location context, an outcome/energy context, or a personnel context - but you can only choose one. At least when I try similar things, the result is a mess. For example, I have 20 minutes free, I'm at home, and my wife is in the next room if I need her. But I have to search three different context lists to see all available tasks. By the time I've done that, I might as well not bother with contexts at all and just scan the full task list. It's also maddening to think you've finished every errand item in one trip, only to realize that you assigned an "energy" context to an errand item and so missed it.

This isn't really a criticism of the posted list, but rather of OF itself. This post provides a perfect example of how useful it would be to be able to assign tags to items (or multiple contexts, which I see as substantially the same thing). I'd love to see this implemented.

EDIT: Just to add, allowing only one context is defensible, I guess, if "context" has a highly particular meaning and you're trying to encourage bright lines. But one you loosen context to mean "attribute that I'd like to be able to filter tasks by" then it's obvious that there are lots of creative attributes that it would be useful to be able to filter by.

Last edited by Stargazer; 2011-10-03 at 01:06 PM..