View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
The other principal in GTD is that capture should be easy and inviting. Sure, OG could include priority, energy level, tags, time of day, happiness factor and all the rest, but when you are adding in your tasks, that is a lot to figure out.

DA makes it pretty clear that energy and priority and not capturable items, but more internal gauges of which of items in your contextual view you should do.

OmniFocus should remain powerful, but easy. Simple, but sticking to the main concepts of GTD.

BZ
BZ,
You are right, a person's current state is not able to be captured, but the requirements of a task are, and that's the issue I'm talking about.

Also, designation of "low energy" tasks does not have to be done at capture time. It can be done during project planning or review.

As I might have mentioned earlier, DA says "I recommend that you always keep an inventory of things that need to be done that require very little mental or creative horsepower" (GTD, p. 194 in my copy). It seems to me that the application of this principle in OmniFocus would be the ability to pull up a next actions list in context mode which displays only actions requiring little mental energy. I think this is what David Allen had in mind when he made the above recommendation. If not, I welcome your ideas....

I'm certainly not saying that every action must be designated with energy level requirements, as that would add steps to the capturing process, and for the most part would be unnecessary. I only need to designate low energy tasks so I can isolate these in an actions list. Everything that is not on that low actions list is an action that requires a moderate degree of alertness or greater. Now, some might want to specify high energy as well as low energy, but I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Since I'm not using the flag for anything else, my current solution is to flag low energy tasks. I have a list of a dozen or so next actions in a "Low Energy" perspective that displays them and only them in context mode.

So, for the people who aren't using the flag for anything else, there's the solution. If they are using the flag for priority, then it looks like manually adding a text symbol tag to the action is the solution. By the way, flag states and search text are both preserved in a perspective.

The flag is preferable because it can be added to multiple entries at once, and it can be done very quickly (and can be put in the toolbar for easy access).