View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelande View Post
Well DropBox is pretty close when it comes to accessing documents and building an ecosystem that third parties can tie into.

And Google Docs, Mail, Calendaring is fairly ubiquitous in those areas.
uh, no.

Every app has their own way of doing this. The majority of them that use Dropbox just create a folder at the main root level and that's it. No say on the user's part. Don't move it or else. Besides that, it's in a place I don't want to be. Heaven help me if I inadvertently move it on my desktop system.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to get one app's data to another and come up against a road block. The whole thing is ridiculous in the extreme.

yeah, there are some players out there but nothing is even close to ubiquitous. That's the whole problem. Now I have files scatted over at least three different file storage system - Dropbox, Google Docs and MobileMe. To put a point on it, it's a cluster.

What it needs to be is something like a device wide file system that knows how to talk to a cloud based (industry standard) service. One Single Service of my choosing. Something that works on a file system basis as seamlessly as OF's syncing does cross platform.

Dropbox is a one of the players, but don't kid yourself that they are the end all/be all. They are not. All they are is a file storage site and are basically pretty iffy when it comes to app support in general. Yes, you can find apps that have Dropbox support, but that whole thing is pretty clunky - I have yet to see one that isn't to be truthful.

I use Dropbox and thought it pretty neat at the start - a stage I'd call "Dropbox Euphoria" but that has faded. Now, it's pretty much the same PITA the rest of them are.

J.