View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpathomas View Post
Thinking of it here I wonder if I have failed to implement the context correctly. If I had put all of these actions under the same context (like Work) I could sort by context view and get them all, then arrange them as I like. Of course, some of them are phone calls, some are email, some are other. If I put the phone calls under the context of Work they won't show up when I'm sitting at Starbucks and think I could get a few phone calls taken care of.
No, you're doing fine - you just want to take the next step in setting things up. ;-)

Switch over to context view, then use the options under the View menu (specifically, the options between "Sidebar Filter" and "Flag Filter") to come up with settings that grab the tasks you care about, while filtering out the tasks you don't.

I'm being vague here, because folks use perspectives in a bunch of different ways to apply whatever 'I need to work on this' criteria they came up with. If you want to do a quick review of your projects, flag some actions you want to work on, then see just the ones that you've flagged, that's one approach folks use. If you set a lot of due dates, the built-in 'Due Soon' perspective may work for you.

In any case, once you find some filter settings you're happy with, you can select
Perspectives -> Save Window As New Perspective
to capture those settings for future use.

Now, you can access those settings all at once and see the tasks that fit your criteria, without needing to set all that up.

My personal setup is
Sidebar Filter: Remaining
Grouping: Ungrouped
Sorting: Project
Status Filter: Due Soon

And the last two on the "Any" settings. I never enter duration info and I rarely flag stuff.

(If you wanted to use that 'flag stuff, then work on it' method I mentioned before, you'd want the Flagged filter set to "Flagged".)

Does that help at all?

Last edited by Brian; 2008-06-18 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: added the parenthetical