View Single Post
I want to create a Perspective that is an ad hoc list of Actions, and that is not based (at least not strictly) on due date, Context, etc. Primarily I want to to see things that I wish to accomplish on a Saturday (or this weekend).

NOTES:

Before posting, I did search on / scan this topic, so my intent is less about asking for OF tagging, and more about how to best implement this in OF today.

I am aware that GTD proposes to scan lists for what can/should be best done now (i.e., keep things dynamic), act, repeat, and aided by context and next action lists; and specifically in OF, start and due dates, etc., are useful. However I also believe that once these scanning plus filtering methods are used -- rather than trying to keep going back to one's trusted system and re-checking long lists throughout the day -- it is sometimes useful to have a list established for the day that reflects what you want to get done, and can of course be influenced by context, energy, weather, desire, etc. I find this especially valuable on the weekends, or evenings.

I am aware that GTD proposes that hard landscape items be put in one's calendar. But my 'today' type list is not 'must be done' on a certain date. Additionally, I want to keep these Actions in OF.

TWO METHODS I'M LOOKING AT

1) I created a SAL that I call: "Today, soon". I use the Notes field of the SAL.

1a) I type in things I want to get done. Disadvantage: The things I type are redundant with OF Actions.

1b) I open two windows, one with the SAL and the cursor placed in the Notes field, then drag Actions of interest into the Notes field as aliases. Disadvantages: A) Kludgy; requires careful dragging of Actions (if there is a mouse-up during the drag, the Notes field loses focus and the Action can't be dragged into the Notes field as an alias (I have an enhancement request in to allow the Notes field to 'open up' when an Action is dragged over it)), and it requires two windows to be jockeyed. B) When Actions are clicked on, they show up, but so do other Actions from the same Project or SAL.

2) Tagging. I'm thinking of tagging Actions with something that wouldn't likely otherwise show up, like: "•••". Then have a Perspective that shows these items (and of course I can further use filtering for "Available", etc.) I could later do a search and replace to clean things up.

In one post Curt mentioned dragging Actions into another window (this was in response to someone who created a separate list to carry with him). This could be useful for a paper list, but I'm (also) interested in keeping it dynamic, so that I can check things off when done.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2009-05-16 at 07:21 AM..