View Single Post
Hi, I am trying to write a simple script (in Perl, most likely) which will pick up an Omnifocus Backup, read the XML and parse it, and then write a "dot" file that Graphviz can display for me.

Actually, I only want to display the Folder/Project tree structure down to individual tasks, though I might include a separate graph that shows contexts and links these in with edges to the nodes of the Folder/Project tree. (Thus some of the information in the backup files will be ignored.)

I felt that this would give a really nice added "perspective" (provided the tree didn't get too big of course, though one can always break this up).

I've already taken a look at the xml that is in the "contents.xml" files that get created when you unzip any given backup file - but have noted that even in a given day there can be several files in the backup and they appear to be incremental (for example if you delete something that action is stored as an additional xml node, which of course makes sense or you would not be able to undo later).

With this background, my questions are twofold:

(a) Does anyone know of a script or a tool which already maps out (as a graph/tree) your Omnifocus tasks?

(b) If not, is there someplace I can get definitive information on the format of the Omnifocus Backups (other than that they are in XML of course!) so that it might be a bit easier/quicker for me to write the script I'm hoping to develop.

Cheers for any help. This is my first post, so thanks to Omni for providing this forum.