View Single Post
Hi Guys!

I'm test driving both products at the moment. And would appreciate your insight in helping me to make a good choice.

My primary use of the s/w spins around IT diagrams (network, processes, etc.)

Comparing the two products out of the box and CDP wins. It looks slick with loads of stencils out of the box and seems to be more intuitive to work with. Loads of templates also available right out of the box. I know about Graffletopia, but it's not giving you as nice looking stencils as you get with CDP, which means you get something that the vendor thought about and made it look professional. Am I missing something here? I can't believe Omni guys didn't think about it.

Most of the people I'm interacting with use Visio for diagrams. What I found is neither of the two products deal with Visio files well enough. CDP doesn't open Visio .vsd files as OGP does, only opens XML Visio files.
Neither of the two would allow you to edit Visio files properly (connection points on objects go missing, layout gets messed up and behavior of objects is different to that in Visio) and when you save it and send back to Visio, document doesn't look well anymore.
Is there a plan to have a better support for Visio documents in OG in the coming versions that would give me better results?

Basically, when (if) you made the decision between the two products what feature(s) steered you in direction of the product that you chose in the end? I guess we can have people on this forum who use ConceptDraw and maybe thinking to try out OmniGraffle.

Price is nearly identical, so it's more about the features I guess.

Also, there are very few comparisons of the two products that I can find searching the Net and mostly related to older versions of CDP and every time people seem to recommend OG over CDP. Even one of the posters was pointing out that the stencils in CDP are good and he was looking for a way of exporting it into OG. I was sitting scratching my head as of what is missing in CDP that OG has. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for a bit confusing post, but I'd like to know a bit more about the product that a short trial use can reveal. Unfortunately I don't have much time every day to try the software and using Visio in Fusion to get by, but would like to go all Mac on the tooling front.

Regards,
Alex.