View Single Post
MEP, thanks for the well written reply, it is helpful. You've basically described shifting the focus of deciding from weekly to daily; that is good, however my question about deciding what to do remains a valid one, even if shifted to the day or moment. You and others have provided some practical methods that I will try. The thrust of my question (if you remove the weekly review reference) is how to negotiate literally hundreds of possible things that can be done, without keeping them in your head. Most of what I do 8-5 weekdays is @computer, so contexts don't help a lot. The amount of time an action takes is useful, and OF allows filtering. For energy, I imagine some meta tagging would be required.

I understand a key of GTD is keeping things *out* of your head (and in a trusted system), but also that in the weekly review, you review "for reminders". It was the reminders part that I was trying to relate to using OF. If those reminders are in my head, they're not off my mind.

I understand that prioritizing mechanically is not the way to go, but at the same time, I was hoping to not have to view every @computer available action (even if constrained by task length) every day to make a decision.

But there are some good tools mentioned in this thread, and I will try them along with using intuition, as DA says. Three additional things worth mentioning: I need to eliminate (or move to someday/maybe) a lot of things on my lists; the idea I just read in Timothy Ferris' "The Four-Hour Work Week" <4hourworkweek.com> and here of figuring out two important things to get done the next day and doing those; and I need to work the entire GTD plan for a good while -- to give it a chance. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Bob