View Single Post
krshee pretty much nails it. I've been back and forth between Things and OmniFocus a few times just to get a feel for how the different apps work, and I actually keep coming back to OF. The "Today" concept in Things is most easily replicated, IMHO, by using flags as long as you're not tied into using them for something else.

The forthcoming 1.8 version (currently available as a sneaky peek) makes this even more flexible, since you can create a filter based on a cross-section of flagged status and due status. Save that as a perspective and you're good to go.

You also have the flexibility to build your perspectives to display the information however you want -- you don't get manual sort orders, but you can easily sort by any other column and filter or group by context or project.

In my case, I have a "Today" view that simply displays all tasks that are available and flagged or due within a flat, ungrouped context view, sorted by due date, on the assumption that tasks coming due take priority over "whenever" type tasks. From there i can drill down into specific contexts to filter that list or click on column headings if I need to change the sort order (which I rarely do in that view).

I also have a secondary perspective called "Hotlist" that uses the same settings as "Today" but opens in a secondary window with all sidebars and toolbars hidden, making it a perfect floating quick-reference to-do list that I can leave up on my screen.

The "Focus" features in OmniFocus are also worth a look, as they allow you to filter your list even further down to only specific projects or folders (think "Areas of Responsibility" in Things terminology). For instance, I keep all of my Work projects and Personal projects in separate folders, and then maintain a "Home" perspective that I use on weekends to focus my tasks on only those in my "Personal" life, flagged or not. No sense keeping things in my mind on a Saturday that can't be done until Monday anyway. :)