View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Fundamentally, we view "showing things you can't actually do" as undesirable, so we don't want to introduce that tradeoff into the app. We do feel like we have a good understanding of people's desire for more flexibility in organizing their tasks, and we plan to service that underlying desire in the future.
You guys generally know what you're doing, so I'm eager to see what you come up with under the rubric of "more flexibility". But I can't help but wonder if you've been a little too hung up on the idea that tags are fundamentally the same as contexts. To me tags and contexts are orthogonal. (More precisely, contexts could be regarded as one particularly narrowly defined use for tagging, as in Things, along with all the other unlimited range of metadata one might want to capture.) I want ways of structuring and filtering my data that may never make sense to anyone but me, and tags are a way of achieving that. Right now I just dump any additional info I want to keep in the Notes field, but I really want something with more structure. Actually, adding extendable, user-definable columns a la OmniOutliner would probably be an even better solution than tagging as fas as I'm concerned — although OpenMeta support would be nice too.

Last edited by eurobubba; 2012-10-06 at 03:00 AM..