View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Some related advice: If you're following GTD, it's best not to use a due date unless it is a real due date. For US taxpayers filing in the calendar year, April 15 is a real due date for filing the return. It's a bad idea to say, "I want to get my taxes done by March 1, so I'll make that my due date!" The problem is that you accustom yourself to thinking that due dates are not real, and then you can get bitten by those that are real. It's better to get in the habit of frequent reviews, so that you can decide what you want or need to get done next, even if it doesn't have a due date or that due date is far in the future. Flags are a good way to mark such actions or projects.
Brianogilvie - thank you so much for this advice! I have been dating *everything* and then finding myself overwhelmed by the red numbers/things not done that kept piling up. Almost to the point where I would stop looking at OF because it made me feel guilty! This really helps my thinking in terms of how to best use OF and implement GTD.