View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonafideBM View Post
Now that I have an iPhone, I came to this forum disappointed in 'OmniFocus for iPhone.' You have to have some MobileMe or WebDAV to sync? Let me rephrase this. You would think you could hook your iPhone to your Mac, click on a 'Sync' button, and the OmniFocus on the Macintosh would load up the OmniFocus on the iPhone, right? Well, not yet, anyway. The current inability to set up syncing with a simple local connection should have been disclaimed explicitly, not left as a read-between-the-lines,-we-got-WebDAV-and-MobileMe-sync-support-but-didn't-mention-anything-about-a-simple-USB-cable thing.

From the iPhone page in iTunes App Store:
"OmniFocus can synchronize with OmniFocus 1.1 for Mac (currently in public beta) via MobileMe or a WebDAV-enabled web server."

From the OmniFocus of iPhone page on Omni Group's web site:
"It's easy to sync your OmniFocus data between multiple Mac computers and your iPhone using your iDisk if you're a MobileMe subscriber or a by using a generic WebDAV server."

The OmniFocus FAQ on the Omni Group web site answers all of your questions and more. For example:
"Why don't you have sync over the USB cable, or timed alerts, or color-coded badges on the app icon, or rich text, or [other obviously useful but absent feature]?

These are all limitations of the iPhone platform, not design choices. The platform is still very young, and we're already thrilled with what we can do, but if Apple wants to open up these features to us, we will be more than happy to take advantage of them."

Third-party apps don't have access to sync over USB. That's pretty widely-known. I'm sorry if you didn't stumble upon any of this information ahead of time, but with all due respect, you can hardly blame anyone but yourself. And if there was any doubt in your mind, why not ask on this forum before buying or send an email to the Omni Group?

Having said that, local network (Bonjour) syncing with the iPhone is coming in the very near future (maybe even next week?). That'll be just as easy as a USB sync but without the cables. So no need to be disappointed!

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-10-03 at 11:35 PM..