View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
1) an outline for the entire year
2) an outline for each unit
3) an outline for each day

In the past, I have tried to keep an outline for the entire year, but there are so many levels: (week, day, activity, sub activity, etc) that it gets a little unwieldy at times. However, it has the advantage of being fully searchable.
It may be that the architecture of OmniFocus (a searchable database which stores large number of outlines as 'folders' and 'projects' and 'action groups') works better for this purpose than the document-centred architecture of OmniOutliner. (On the other hand, OO is rather faster and has a lighter feel which suits rapid outlining well).

FWIW I use a combination of OF and OO for the training and university teaching components of my work - an OF 'project' for work related to each module or training engagement, which is linked to a course log (session plans + course diary) in an .oo3 file.

The .oo3 files are automatically gathered, together with the course-related PDFs etc, in a DevonThink database, which means that you can easily search across them to find files containing particular strings.

(These scripts may give some idea of how OF, OO3 and Devonthink can work together)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-08-30 at 01:04 AM..