View Single Post
The ability to sync with the iPhone is high on my list of "must haves" and I continue to look for it. In my work as an engineer and construction manager there is a lot of "reference" information that I need to look up, add to, update and modify on the go. For example, accounting cost codes, bid proposals, material properties, contract clauses, etc.

A simplified iPhone outliner that syncs with the desktop outliner would be a huge addition to the Omni family of products. Enhancements such as multiple columns could be added in the future.

You have a tremendous edge on your competitors right now with the sync features of Omnifocus. I have thought about trying to use it for my iPhone outline needs but keep hoping you will fill the gap.

In the windows environment, the outliner InfoSelect for the Palm provides a very practical and useful solution that might serve as a model. In the desktop outliner you select which sections are synced with the handheld outliner. So the file can be much smaller on the handheld. On the desktop you can edit and treat the sync-sections in the same way you do any other section. When the sync-sections are synced, some simplifications in formatting, attachments, etc. are made to take the info into the handheld. While on the handheld, the sync-section info can be edited, added to, deleted, reorganized, etc. and when the next sync occurs those changes are made in the desktop info. So, while there are some compromises in features, the user can take info back and forth.

1) A single column with indented levels made up of rows and notes that expand and collapse. A note can be given a title as well as contents. If a note does not have a title, the first line of the note's contents shows up in the row when the note is collapsed.

2) Plain text like OmniFocus for the iPhone would be enough. It is the information that is of primary importance and most of that can be in text.

3) Attachment support? No.

4) Full editing is necessary.

5) Full, two-way syncing. Merging changes.

Thanks,
Bob