Thread: Backup Cleanup
View Single Post
i just discovered that my omnifocus backup folder was 35GB in size.

the manual doesn't walk me through a methodology and reasoning for OF backup management - at least not in a "backup management for idiots" enough way for me. i suggest that an expanded entry in the backup section of the OF manual would help to clarify the OF backup psychology and workflow.

i've read this thread, and i get the impression that unless i have actually deleted anything from OF, it remains in the current database file, including completed items.

anything i have completed before a user-specified date can be archived.

backups allow me to access items i have manually deleted from my current database.

if i've been archiving regularly enough, there should rarely be a need to access backups - only in the case of items which have been deleted and which i want to have access to again, or in the case of a corrupted database.

pruning old backups means that the only data which i am "losing" is items which have been deleted by me (all completed items remain in the database unless archived).

in which case, it's generally safe to delete old backups, if i'm reasonably sure that i don't need to access items i've previously deleted.

is my understanding correct???