View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
My mistake. I assumed that because syncing on exit (1) happens on the desktop version and (2) makes sense, that it would happen on the iPhone version.
iOS apps are not allowed the luxury of a leisurely exit when the button is pressed. They are supposed to save their state and quit immediately, prior to iOS 4 (or in iOS 4 with less capable hardware).
Quote:
So I'm clear... when I add/edit something on the iPhone, I have to specifically press the sync button or the desktop will never see the changes? Seems a bit counter-productive.
No, OmniFocus is supposed to automatically sync 1 minute after you make a change to the database, if you've got auto-sync turned on. Judging from Derek's post, there may be some issues with iOS4 that need sorting out before it works that way reliably.
Quote:
Plus, "database optimization doesn't need to happen again if the app hasn't quit" may be true, but on iOS 4, it appears that the app never quits. Therefore, optimization will never happen, which would not be a good thing.
No, it would happen when you first launch the app after restarting the device. If iOS 4 never needs to terminate OmniFocus, no further optimization would be needed. If the optimization is something that needs to happen periodically whether or not the application has been terminated, there would be code in there to do it already -- they can't very well assume that you only run the app for a few minutes at a time!

Remember, if there's any doubt, you can always tap the Sync button and force another sync. Not a bad habit to cultivate, in my opinion, as it means you've gotten an off-device backup of that important change you just made.