View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I manage a small group of people and I am looking for input on how to best manage the projects that are assigned to others. I need to keep a "stake in the ground" for the project and add occasional next actions such as, "how is project x coming?" or "add this or that to the project y."

In a dream scenario, I would have a program such as OmniPlan in which everyone could update their projects and then sync up with their individual OmniFocus DB's. Until version 2?, I'll have to come up with another strategy.

After buying OmniFocus and OmniOutliner for everyone and seeing their confusion in trying to implement it, I have decided to be software agnostic. However, I do expect everyone to keep a project list of active and "on hold" projects.

All of that being said, how do you track projects assigned to others in OF?

One possibility is to create a folder in my OF database for each person on a team and have projects with 1 next action and/or due dates for milestones that I need to make sure happen. I want to look at their projects no more than I have to. . .

Another option would be to keep the projects of others in OmniOutliner or OmniPlan.

Another option is to have them update a shared google spreadsheet with a sheet for each person on the team.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Here's what I do with this exact same problem.

I create a context for each employee. I create a project for whatever they are working on that I need to follow up or assign actions to. When I create an action, I an assign it to the context of the employee and then to the appropriate project.

At our monday morning staff meetings, I then pull up the context and go over each item if they don't report on it. I can also do the same by project which may have one or more of my employees working on it.

Finally, I wrote (or modified) two applescripts that create an email in mail.app for the action I'm in. I can then email it to them directly with a request for status. When they follow up by return email, I can then use my second script to copy that email (or the link to it) into the notes part of the action.

This works really well and it, I think, how GTD intended it to be used.

J.