View Single Post
All I want is a way to view and deal with multiple outlines. A drawer on the side that contains all outlines and the ability to create folders to help organize them. The fact that I can deal with only one outline at a time really sucks.

For instance, I have an outline that I've labeled 'file cabinet'. It has random information I need such as the domains I own. I'd like to have a second column that is labeled 'exp. date'. But I can't because I also use this outline to keep a record of all my applications. For this data I need a second column named 'serial'. So I end up using 'info' as the second column for both.

Using the same outline is simply too restricting. A drawer that allowed a folder labeled 'file cab' with multiple outlines in it would solve that problem. A folder labeled 'trips' could have multiple outlines with trip information, instead of one giant outline that contains every trip I'm going to take. It would also help in the printing of outlines.

As an example the project drawer in textmate is simple and works really well.

Because of this very real limitation I've tried yojimbo, voodoopad, and several other info collection applications. But I always return to omnioutliner pro because I love the program so much. I'd like to use it even more. For the cost, which I think is fair, this really seems to be a missing and needed feature (and easily not used if you don't find it useful).

I made this same suggestion about a year ago on the mailing list and was given a maybe along with the suggestion that I simply use apple-O to open a finder window. But that's not the same and not near as handy as a built in way to handle, use, and create multiple outlines.