View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by owuser View Post
If the DO Auto-save:
Even if I used auto-save, this wouldn't be a real solution. Users rarely know, or have time to plan, what they will be doing next time they open their browser.

Quote:
If you don't need OW to auto-save your workspaces:
This sounds a lot like what support suggested, but it's pretty obscure, and doesn't work (for me, so far). Here's how I parsed the steps that owuser proposed:

1. Open OW's preferences, set the homepage to blank.
Check: This has always been my preference setting.
2. Start up a single window of OW and take a snapshot of the single blank page.
This isn't completely unambiguous, so I did what is most consistent with my workflow: With my current workspace active (two windows, 6-8 tabs each), I opened a new (blank) window and took a snap shot.
3. Next, go to Workspaces > Show all workspaces and UNCHECK the option to auto-save workspaces.
Check, this has always been my preference.
4. Then go back to OW's preferences and set the homepage back to where you want it.
No change here, I still want it to be blank.
Quote:
What you lose in OW saving your states between browsing sessions you gain in that no matter where you were when you quit, OW will start up with this single blank page.
Not surprisingly... When I restart I get the workspace I was working on, now with 3 windows, one blank one. :(

It seems to me that this is a fundamental interface design issue where OmniGroup and and users like myself are talking past each other. To me the most intuitive solution is that the start page preference setting should override ALL workspace settings.

Assuming not every one agrees, the obvious solution is the general preferences pane should have a check box option immediately below the start page radio buttons that allows one to specify which takes priority (the preference pane or the workspace settings).