View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardP View Post
Seems like your method would simplify what I have finally figured out. Can you please explain how to put shortcuts to the folders on the sidebar. Also, once you do that how do you drag and drop the files? Thanks.
This method assumes that your Macs are connected to one another on a network.

1. On my iMac, I created a folder named iMacOmni (OK, OK, no points for being clever). I moved my OF file to it and then in OF preferences, redirected OF to look for the file in that location.

2. On my MacBook, I created a folder named MacBookOmni, put a copy of my OF file in it, and in OF preferences redirected OF to look for the file in MacBookOmni.

3. In Finder on my iMac, I left-click-dragged the iMacOmni folder to the sidebar and dropped it there. (While you are dragging and dropping onto the sidebar, OSX draws a line to show where the folder will go).

4. Again in Finder on my iMac, I navigated to my MacBook, located the MacBookOmni folder, and left-click dragged the folder to the sidebar ON MY IMAC. The MacBook shows up under "Shared" on my iMac and vice versa on the MacBook.

5. On my MacBook, I repeated Steps 3 and 4, only, of course, this time the MacBookOmni folder was on the MacBook HD while I had to navigate through the network to grab the iMacOmni folder.

6. Close OF on both machines before copying! With Finder set to display file details (the finder icon with three parallel lines), on either Mac, I can see which is the most recent version of my OF file and drag it to the sidebar folder for the machine I'm going to be using next. It takes less than 2 minutes to copy the most recent OF file from one machine to another. I copy rather than move, so I always get the dialog box asking me to confirm whether I want to replace the file on the target machine. No biggie.

7. Once in a while, for reasons I cannot figure out, the copy process does not complete and the older version of the OF file opens on the target machine. Easy fix: just delete the OLD version on the target machine and repeat the copy/drag process of the newer version from the source machine.

HOWEVER, this means that if I'm going to go out the door with my MacBook, it's always a good idea to fire up OF on the MacBook before leaving the house to make sure the most recent version in fact safely made the trip.

Back up frequently and you can't go too far wrong. Hope this helps!