View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kioneo View Post
But, it has introduced new complexities in how I plan projects (since I didn't really do it much before). I find myself, at least presently, trying to balance how much detail to plan. Too little and I feel like the project just isn't fully hashed out during review time, and too much and I feel like I am wasting time planning.
IIRC it says in GTD that you should do as much planning as you need to do to get the project off your mind. David Allen seems to think that for 90% of things that will be a short period of thinking about the project and maybe a bit of "back of the envelope" planning. For the remaining 10% of projects he advises using whatever project-planning tool you're comfortable with, whether that's an outliner or a full-blown project management app.

Since I started with GTD I've found this is broadly how it works out for me, with a Word or Omnioutliner document being my weapon of choice for planning big projects. One thing I've found very helpful is to backstep through a project from the end result to the first next action, e.g.

Project: Replace front tyre on car
Take car to garage for new tyre
Call garage for prices and to make appointment for tyre replacement
Find number of garage on web
Check tyre model numbers on car

Obviously for most things I'll do that mentally and then enter the actions in the correct order in OF.