View Single Post
With respect to the lag, it's noticable on my 1.5 Ghz G4 Powerbook with regular manuscripts, ie. ~30 EndNote references in 6000 words. It's usable, of course, but the citations sort of "catch" as you try to scroll by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhammell View Post
Endnote has other great features such as searching online databases, easily importing references, and it automates citation formats. I'd be interested to know if Bibdesk has these features too. I'd also be interested to know if you make a document from Pages and format it with Bibdesk as you suggest, can you share this document with others who likely use Word and Endnote.
BibDesk is pretty good in this respect. It imports Medline, RIS, BibTeX, and a number of other formats (EndNote's XML, for example) directly. You can import RIS or Medline files saved from online searches. If you can display a Medline or BibTeX listing in the Web browser, you can just select the text and drag/drop it on the BibDesk window to import. BibDesk will also search Medline, the Web of Science and the Library of Congress directly from within the program, and it has an internal WebKit-based display that will allow you to search and import directly from Google Scholar, CiteULike, HubMed and the ACM Portal. You run the Web interfaces from within BibDesk, and it grabs the BibTeX from the returned data in the background and sets up a list of returned items for you to inspect and import directly.

It also manages and autofiles multiple files per reference (including PDFs and Web links) with display of active (page-able) thumbnail previews that respond to QuickLook in Leopard. If you annotate or highlight PDFs in Skim, those annotations and highlights are visible as listings in BibDesk and can be included in exported bibliographic summaries. Finally, it has a very flexible templating system for specifying the format of displays within BibDesk and exported data.

What it doesn't have is the prebuilt journal formats, which are a significant convenience. Other than that, though, I've been really impressed.

As to round-tripping documents between Pages and Word, it's worked for me with manuscripts and grants that have embedded images, but not particularly complex layouts. In Pages v. 3, the change tracking and comments also round-trip, which is necessary. Of course, you can't round-trip with EndNote embedded references, but you can with the text citations that I use with CiteInPages. In fact, you can drag new references from BibDesk into the Word document because it's just a text drag & drop. But you need to do the final formatting in Pages.