Thread: Backup vs. Sync
View Single Post
I have a Mac at work and a Mac at home. (both are desktops. I don't have a laptop or iPhone.) I want to be able to access my OF database at both places.

I like OF, but it seems strange that unlike most other apps, you can't save an OF database with a filename using "Save As...". I'm sure there is probably a good reason for this but I don't know what it is.

Given the fact that syncing seems to be problematic (so much so that it requires its own forum) I wonder, is there any downside to just doing a File > Backup database on one machine, putting it on an external drive, and then on the other computer doing a File > Revert to Database Backup and choosing the copy on the external drive? That seems like the easiest way to keep things in sync.

The only problem is that when I do this I get a weird unhelpful error message, and the Perspectives I created don't seem to come across (I suppose they aren't part of the database). But the data seems to transfer properly from one machine to the other. But I only have done this a couple times and because of the error message I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it.

Thanks for any insights...

Last edited by rladd; 2009-01-31 at 12:08 PM..