View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
That's pretty much it. And I agree that those should be two separate commands.

I keep clicking the Clean Up toolbar button hoping OF will tidy up my office, but so far that hasn't happened. ;-)
ya, if they were separate that would probably solve some of the UI difficulties...

"Re-apply Filters" would still make sense if it only applied to the front window (since filters are per-window anyway), whereas changing Clean Up to vary its action depending on what you're looking at would just make it more confusing. that way if i want to remove checked items from the current focus, i could do that without affecting my checked-off items in other projects/contexts (if of course i was the type to leave checked items hanging around).

i can imagine a toolbar icon for Re-apply Filters that would be grayed/unclickable if the window state was currently in-synch with the View filters, and it would light-up if the current view was "dirty". the menu command would behave similarly. this is easy for users to understand since it's the way Save works in document-centric apps. as it stands now now i can click Clean Up all day long without it necessarily doing anything (or maybe it's doing stuff to things i can't see?).

and then a global "Automatically Refilter" preference would make sense too, and wouldn't automatically file inbox items behind your back.