View Single Post
Hi everyone,

I'm currently evaluating OmniFocus and while I'm generally pleased with the UI, I have run into an issue I cannot resolve. Hopefully some of you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

The situation is this:

I'm receiving a new mail, switch to Mail to view it, determine that some action will be required and want to create a task for this future action in OF.

At this point I can use Quick Entry or Clipping to create the new task. If I use QE, I'm left with no context information in the new task and no link between the message and the task. If I use Clipping, nothing happens until I select some text in the Mail view pane first. But I'm not interested in copying anything from the message to the task -- all I want to do is create a new task linked to the message that will basically allow me to find my way back to the message once I get around to dealing with it.

Why do I have to go through the selection process before I can create a new task linked to its origin? It disrupts my flow and makes OF too intrusive.

Safari provides another example -- I come across an interesting page and decide to create a task to remind myself to come back and read the article once I have more time on my hand. So I want a new task which holds the URL of the page ... but I can only get this if I first select some text in Safari ... why?

This kind of functionality is available in the freeware iGTD application; hit F6 and iGTD creates a new task with the "obvious" information from the source application.

Kind regards,
Jacob