View Single Post
Brian

We are on different wavelengths. Before we worry about what you perceive to be "correct" or "not", in order to avoid a lengthy exchange ...

Do me a favour, please. Type "+" on [a standard] keyboard (so that it actually shows up, on say a TextEdit window). Please post back exactly which key or keys you held down in order to get that image.

And just to be clear, I am expecting that you have maintained the context of the thread, not extracted single statements in isolation, devoid of context. All standard keyboards (eg. any laptop or iMac) have no numeric keypad, only the extended keyboards do. When engineering teams write manuals they cater for the generic, they do not write manuals for people with numeric keypads only (and if they did, that limitation would be identified in the from of the manual). When we talk about Command-6 we mean the seventh key in the second row of the keyboard that all Apples have, not the key in the numeric keypad that only some people have, which (you're right) produced a different control code).

I am not interested in conflict. My take on it is that Palmer was balancing his argument on the basis of exceptions, and after I pointed that out, he appears to have conceded (not posted further). You've come in late, and I am not sure which bits you have caught and which bits you have lost. But you have posted a declaration, which has to be dealt with.

Thanks

Last edited by DerekAsirvadem; 2010-05-20 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: [edit in square brackets]