View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdiadamo View Post
I download a pdf that ends up in my download folder. I clean out the folder periodically; I select the pdf, click f4 (which is the shortcut I have defined as the clippings shortcut) and I get the quick entry box with the actual pdf in the notes field with the file name as the title of the to do.
By default, OmniFocus always creates a link to files dragged into the note field. There is no GUI preference to control this behavior (maybe there's a hidden default, but I don't know). However, if you hold down the Option key while dragging a file into the note field, a copy of the file will instead be embedded in the database.

Regardless of whether the file is linked or embedded, it shows up as a file icon, rather than a traditional hyperlink like you see on web pages. You can verify that a file is linked by right-clicking on the icon. In the resulting contextual menu you should see an option to "Reveal in Finder" that should take you to the location of the original file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdiadamo View Post
I In Mail, when I f4 a message, I get the quick entry box with the subject line as the title, and the text of the email in the notes. The only issue here is that if there is an attachment, I would prefer that the attachment (which can be large) does not enter OF. I would rather get a link to the email, which would hopefully maintain even after I filed the email into the proper folder.
I haven't sent very many emails with large attachments to OmniFocus. But in my quick tests, it appears as if attachments are not embedded in the OmniFocus database. I can see the attachment's file icon, but if you right click on it and select "Reveal in Finder", it'll take you to a temp directory in /private/var/folders/ where you can see the downloaded attachment. In addition to this, the size of my database file (~450KB) did not increase significantly after clipping an email with a 4 MB attached file.

As for a link to the original email, you can find that at the top of your clipped OmniFocus action. And that link remains valid even if you move the original email to a new folder or mailbox within Apple Mail.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-01-13 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Removed stray text