View Single Post
I feel as if, in recent builds, the concept of the singleton/single action/atomic task is getting relegated to second-tier status in favor of projects.

It used to be that I could go to context view, pick a context, and add a whole host of next actions by hitting Return after each line item -- which is useful if I'm processing my physical inbox or other collection bucket, or creating a quick shopping list in one of my contexts.

Then actions with a context and no project became inactive actions, which can only be seen if you're viewing remaining or all actions. Somewhere around the same time, hitting Return to create a new line item in a context broke, and hasn't been fixed as of build 90172.

Then this idea of a "singleton project" appeared. I'm hoping this is a placeholder for a real single-action view because I am now required to either assign a Next Action to my singleton project when I create it using Quick Entry, or I have to:

Create an entry
Send it to the Inbox
Use Clean Up to move it to the context list (and default "singleton project")

This, coupled with the broken ability to create new items directly into a context list, have needlessly complicated the elegant workflow that was present when I first started using OmniFocus.

As I said, I hope the "singleton project" goes away and is replaced by a view similar to the Inbox, and single Next Actions do not have to be intentionally assigned to anything other than the context they inhabit.

I still find Omnifocus an incredibly useful program. I just think the current incarnation is much less easier to use than it was in the beginning.