View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDave View Post
IMO, adding even more customizable elements isn't going to answer the call for a simplified OF. I don't think the GTD orientation is the issue for most new users; it's the nebulous effort needed to go from scratch to a functional system no matter the preferred methodology. OF simply doesn't have one of those clean intuitive interfaces that Mac software is known for. It's the kind of interface you get when techie programmers get together and decide what the feature set should be and then roll an interface to match. Good UI design is an art unto itself.
I couldn't agree more. I think that if presented in a simple, straightforward way, the UI could actually help people visualize and understand GTD. As it is, you kind of have to understand GTD first in order to start taming the Omnifocus UI.

Quote:
Then you realize you need access to some of this remotely so you buy the iPhone app which adds a stack of index cards and a digital voice recorder. Finally you get the iPad app to bridge the two and it includes a day planner and a handy project review template.
I think the limitations of the iPhone interface forced a bit of minimalism onto OF designers and I find it A LOT cleaner and easier to work with. No various sized windows, no complex view options -- just one unified UI. I'm glad to have the desktop app to capture stuff while I'm on my Mac (and as a backup in case I lose/break my iPod), but I tend to see everything a bit more clearly in the mobile interface.