View Single Post
I'm going on four or five months now and I'm still not fully integrated with OF. Some of that is GTD and old habits (procrastination), and some of that is OmniFocus specific. There's a lot about the interface I don't like and I'm finding that it's causing enough friction for me that I actively look for something else to do when it's time to sit down and use OF for a while. And I'm not talking about how pretty it is or isn't, that doesn't matter to me so much.

OmniFocus (and GTD in general) was helpful for getting all my projects recorded and organized during the dump phase, but as you said it's been a bit of a hurdle to actually getting things done. It took a lot of reading, research, and fiddling around just to reach the point I'm at now where I think I can actually use it for being productive. Up until now I've spent more time messing with OF than using it.

The other big factor is that I use Windows at work. Trying to integrate Windows at work with my Mac based GTD has been a real challenge and is really slowing my GTD uptake. I'm making progress, though.

Funny thing is, just yesterday I tried out Things for the first time. It took no more than five minutes for me to discount it. Sure, it had some nice UI features but after transferring my OF projects over via a script I immediately recognized that it was lacking important features such as sequential/parallel projects, sequential/parallel task groups different from the parent project, and even just subtasks or task groups altogether. I removed the app shortly thereafter and it reinforced the notion that I need to keep at it with OmniFocus and it will eventually pay off big. I'm actually feeling a bit energized about it right now.