View Single Post
I've started using the iOS Reminders app alongside Siri for quick, one-off reminder tasks, and in the process I've also considered using it for daily routine tasks, but found that it didn't quite fit the bill -- the biggest limitation being the inability to use "repeat after completion" -- if I miss a task it can quickly bunch up. Under the heading of "clutter" I also found it annoying that all of these routine tasks showed up in the Notification Centre with no way to turn them off without disabling notifications entirely.

Personally, however, I've tended to avoid the clutter somewhat by simply trying to limit those activities that truly have a hard landscape due date. From a GTD point of view, I've found that it's far better to get into the habit of checking appropriate contexts and lists than worrying about arbitrary dates that may not matter.

For example, I maintain a "household routine" context for those various things that need to be done around the house on a regular basis, but I put due dates on almost none of them unless there really is a critical date. Instead I use start dates to keep them off the list until enough time has elapsed since the last time I completed the task.

For instance, a task like "take out garbage" may need to be done about every two days, but I really don't need to put a due date on it. My world isn't going to fall apart if I don't take out the garbage on time (and to be fair, there will be external factors reminding me to do so if I wait too long anyway :) ). Instead I use a start date for this that recurs every two days after completion. Once I've actually taken out the garbage, the item disappears from my list entirely until two days later.

On the other hand, "clean litter box" is something that I do put a due date on, simply because the cats will find somewhere else to relieve themselves if I don't do it in a timely enough manner for their highnesses. :)

Similarly, I use a fixed due date with a 24-hours-after-completion repeat to remind me to take my vitamins each day -- this way I get a notification, and the 24-hour setting allows me to ensure that I'm not taking them too close together (e.g. if I don't take them until later in the day, the next reminder doesn't appear until later the next day).

Ultimately, the goal is to reduce the number of interrupt-driven tasks. Unless something has an externally enforced due date, I don't set one. This avoids creating stress about things that I feel I should be doing when I'm in no position to do them. Instead, I go to my appropriate contexts when I do have the time and focus and run through the appropriate household chores and other routine items.