View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverator View Post
As far as I can tell, and which I also gathered from other threads, action groups are not projects. Meaning that you can't have a Project (capital-P) with action groups in it and expect the action groups to behave like Projects themselves. You can't independently make an action group sequential if the parent project is parallel, you can't review them separately, and you can't set state independently. (I.e. the attributes in the Project Inspector apply to the parent project, not the action group.) Yes you can look at an action group and mentally consider it a project, but from a software functionality standpoint it isn't. But if I'm wrong and it's really wonky UI issues that give this illusion let me know.
Yes and no.

You certainly can put parallel action groups inside sequential projects, and vice versa. Right-click the action group to set it's "sequentiality". I use this all the time to control dependencies on complex projects.

You are right though, that you can't set review dates and state for action groups independent of their parent projects. You also can't assign an action to an action group using the quick-search mechanism.

So, the difference really has to do with how many of the OF features you're using. If are not using on-hold projects, dropped projects, review dates, or quick-search to assign projects, then action groups behave like sub-projects. If you are using those features, then they are substantially different beasts.

Curt