View Single Post
Quote:
OmniFocus works great as a Getting Things DoneŽ trusted system but can also be used to fit other task management styles
I think this is a little bit of marketing. Don't read too much into it. You can't expect omnigroup to curtail possible sales but calling it an only gtd app. Also, systems come and go. Maybe in 2 years gtd is still going strong, maybe it's here to stay. But it's also possible that something new comes along that steals some of its thunder. If that happens an application built on gtd principles, but advertised as usable without gtd, would be easier to sell.

Omnifocus is definitely a gtd application. The fact that some people are using omnifocus without strict gtd principles doesn't change that. I used omnifocus for months, and I use loose gtd principles, but I need priorities. No, not flagging, but a simple priority system. So I left omnifocus and I'm very happy for doing so. I'm much more productive not using omnifocus (there's many more reasons omnifocus isn't for me, but priorities was a main one).

I'm not putting down omnifocus. It's a great application, and omnigroup is a great company. It's just not for me, so I moved on (and forgot my earlier screen name, so this is a new one).

To summarize, I can understand why omnigroup is marketing omnifocus as gtd 'inspired', but I think it's a stretch to think, for most people, its going to work when principles are used that are not gtd inspired.