Thread: Web Interface
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjockey
Well, I can see the web interface when I use firefox, but not when I use Safari (2)
Sorry, I guess it's currently incompatible with Safari 2. (Our target is the iPhone, but it also works with OmniWeb 5.6.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocketjockey
When I access it from my iphone it says "Safari can't open the page because it could not connect to the server." ???

Any help would be appreciated....I'm assumming my ip address of https://0.0.0.0:3000/ is maybe incorrect?
Sorry, yes, 0.0.0.0 refers to the local host, so that will only work from your desktop's web browser. To get to the server from your iPhone, you have to figure out the address of your desktop machine from the iPhone's point of view and connect to that. (Strangely, iPhone doesn't currently support Bonjour—so even on your LAN you can't just connect to "my-computer.local".)

And I haven't been able to get it to work unless I also turn off SSL (search for "USE_SSL" in earlier posts), although I think I've seen both Tim and James use it with SSL enabled. (Our speculation is that it might work based on your network setup, e.g. perhaps rails is picking one interface for its certificate but the iPhone is connecting from another? But we haven't tracked it down yet.)

We plan to offer the ability to turn off SSL—but then the password and data will be going across the wire in the clear. We can solve the password problem by using digest authentication, though we need to find a good (and non-GPL) implementation of HTTP digest authentication for rails. (Any suggestions, anyone?)

I'm not sure what to do about protecting the data from the wire, but perhaps folks using this are willing to take the risk of their data being observed by others. (I've certainly noticed that people are surprisingly willing to put their data on other people's servers!)

Even once we figure all those issues out, there is still the question of how to help people get to their desktop machine from their iPhone when their Desktop is probably behind a firewall and their iPhone is coming in from somewhere else on the Internet. At the moment, unfortunately, that's left as an exercise for the reader. Which returns us to the original question, which is that you first have to figure out what address your iPhone is going to use to get to your desktop machine, and somehow make that work...