View Single Post
One thing I am exploring right now is putting in a snippet of text which I can then search for (or even create a perspective to save that search). For example, I have a list of goals and objectives I have to give to my boss. This year I have made sure they are all in OF and next to each project name I have included "[G+O]". I have a perspective which searches for [G+O] so I can see all my goals and objectives in one place and see how I am progressing with each one.

I am also playing around with doing this on a weekly level. Right now what I am doing is making an action group which starts with "[NG]" and then lists the goal I want for that project for the week. Anything from "Call Bob" to "Make sure I complete this project now!". Then I move all the next actions I want to complete for the week into the action group I created. I then switch to my "Next Goals" perspective, searching for all incomplete actions containing [NG] and I have my list of what I need to do. This is a lot of work for a daily list, but I use it to make my weekly list then flag things for my daily to do lists.

I'm still experimenting with this, so if you ask me in a month if I'm still using it, I may not. But it's something that seems to have potential. If nothing else, the fact that a perspective can save a search is very powerful. Sort of like having smart folders. Combine that with another tip that you can save perspectives outside of the OF Library folder, and you can have automatic project lists (or based on other criteria) whenever and wherever you need them.

Eric

P.S. Now if Omnigroup would just add boolean searching, we really could have a smart folder solution.