View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amg View Post
Really ? Is this something you setup in OF ? Is it "visible" for each activity involved ? I created a brand new project, did as you suggest (set up a due date for the project), and created 2 actions, sequential, leave the due date field empty ... checked latter with the inspector : for each activity involved, the due date field is empty ... how can I see this ?
Yes, I should have been a bit more detailed instead of forcing Curt to step in with clarifications, sorry!

One difference between an OmniPlan Finish-Start dependency and what you were proposing for OmniFocus (start date forced to be after due date of previous action) is that OmniPlan doesn't hide the next action from you until its scheduled start time. One can start working on it immediately when the previous action is finished (presuming, of course, that the estimation of how long the previous task would task being off didn't affect when necessary equipment, materials, etc. would be in place to support working on the next task). It seems to me like if one had a feature like you proposed, the start date on the next action should be updated at the time of checking off the previous action (similar to how the start date/time for a repeating action based on completion date is done). I don't know that I would want that behavior all the time, however, and then you open up the can of worms of how to specify which actions/projects should be treated this way. I can't really point to anything in the OmniPlan inspectors that shouldn't be there, but it is much more pleasant dealing with the OmniFocus inspector, with its compact set of options! I fear that it will not always be so :-)