View Single Post
What do you want to organize?

OmniFocus is optimized for David Allen's GTD system, although it does not require it.

To try to simplify it, I think that OF is good when you put things into your lists one way, and pull things out a different way.

For example, you may have 5 different projects for which the next task is to make a phone call. You're feeling in a social mood and want to make a phone call. You can look at the "Phone call" context, and every task in that context will be there, regardless of project.

Contexts can be mental states, resources you need, all sorts of things.

You can set due dates on tasks, but scheduling is not the core part of GTD. Rather, figuring out "What can I do now, what should I do now?" is what GTD is about.

I don't think that my college coursework would have benefited from GTD. I had a fairly limited set of very linear things: These are my current homework assignments, these are my current projects.

Now that I have a job and a family, it's more complex: Here's a list of errands, here's a list of things to mail, things to buy, etc.

In college, it was, "Do homework. There are 4 assignment, choose one."

I *love* OmniFocus on my iPad. But it is a complex tool that requires careful thought. I think that a more straightforward list-making tool would likely be better. I can't offer any suggestions, sadly.