View Single Post
I've been testing OmniWeb, and like many things about it (having a tab drawer on the side, instead of tabs across the top, is brilliant!)

I've also tested out Camino quite a bit, Opera, and several others.

For me, though, I keep coming back to Firefox because of the extensions. There are extensions that I've grown so accustomed to, that I can't seem to live without them anymore.

I guess since I have a 2GHz Intel iMac with 2GB RAM, I don't notice any speed issues that many people seem to complain about with Firefox on OSX.

Here are a few extensions that *for me* make Firefox my default browser:

* Tab Mix Plus: my new favorite extension. Not only does it offer a dizzying array of tab options (for example, letting you choose what happens when you close a tab: focus last selected, first, left, right...), it has a history of closed tabs that can be saved across sessions (off by default, but a great feature: if you accidently close a tab, you can get it back easily), but it also has a great session manager. You can select which session to restore when re-starting, and it saves crashed sessions as well.

* AdBlock: good stuff. Very configurable.

* TinyURL Creator: great context-menu plugin. I use this when sending URL's to friends via email, so that long URL's don't wrap.

* Google Toolbar for Firefox: not everyone likes it, but I love it. AutoLink, saved search history, spellcheck (will not be necessary with FF 2.0, which will have integrated as-you-type web form spell check just like Google Toolbar.)

* Web Developer Toolbar: awesome. Simply awesome.

Now, I'd LOVE to have a more "OS X native" app, like OmniWeb, and like I said, there are things I love about OmniWeb...I just wish it had a solid plugin architecture, with the developers to support it.