View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Wow, talk about a rash generalization. I just skimmed back over this thread. The reason I asked so many questions was because I was trying to figure out the exact issues just in case there was another way to solve the original issue. I wouldn't dare make the assumption that everyone who posts here knows every last detail.
As a person who is fan of horizontal tabs in some situations and you're not, I think I'm better prepared to identify with those individuals. Besides, JKT was perfectly happy to lump us all together and make all kinds of assumptions about us.
Quote:
I do too.
Terrific, then maybe you know what I'm talking about.
Quote:
Actually it is. Having run many large web sites over the years, including a few you've probably been to, I can tell you first-hand that if we get enough feedback on a particular topic we will make a change. Or get fired, one of the two. ;) Sites like the NYT have too broad of an audience to assume that they're not leaving a substantial portion of their audience out with such a decision. If it was adobe.com, that's a different story.
Well, it's not a solution because:
1. It requires me to repeatedly write emails day in and day out.
2. You even say that not all websites are going to bend to my will.

Quote:
Here's a good article for you: http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70179-0.html

Studies show, that 70-90% of communication is lost when communicating via plain text. In other words, when one tries to infer the meaning from a plain text message, they only have 10-30% of the information needed to properly do so.
I'm not misinterpreting the arrogance in JKT's post. He's calling people that simply want horizontal tabs in ADDITION to the current style "guiltier" of ignoring flaws in horizontal tabs, as if the fact that we're fine with those issues is a bad thing. He then said felt compelled to make a crude statement about horizontal tab usability, completely ignoring that for many users (as evidenced by this thread and most discussions about OmniWeb outside of these forums) horizontal tabs are much more usable than OmniWeb tabs. A large part of usability is in subjective use.

Quote:
With that all said, I think Lens said it best with:
I can read, and it's pretty insulting to requote that passage as if I can't. Further, what Len said doesn't change the attitude clouding this forum, nor does it change out desire to have the feature added. He merely made a commentary on priority and where in the timeline it would be likely to take place. It doesn't try to find some kind of flaw in the desire as you passively (by asking what the issue is) and JKT actively (by trying to perform some "objective" proof about the usability) did.

Can't it just be as simple as some of us not being the biggest fans of the tab drawer in all cases and desiring a different implementation of the same idea?