View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard40 View Post
thanks Dave. I really appreciate your efforts to answer my concerns. It seems a bit strange that with less than a month before the iphone app store is due to launch this area appears not to have been thought through. I know the iphone version is not even released yet but what you talk about sounds a bit 'thrown together' for an award winning piece of software. Surely such functionality should be designed in? Are you saying that there is no built-in desktop sync between the iphone and the desktop programme? That to get this functionality which I consider essential ,users will need to add additional programmes or go under the hood?
I promise you, just about every significant piece of software ships without functionality that someone, somewhere feels is essential, especially its creators :-) Furthermore, trying to add every piece of functionality that someone, somewhere feels is essential quickly leads to bloated monstrosities like Microsoft Office. That's just a general comment, in no way intended to denigrate your wish for direct syncing between OmniFocus and OmniFocus on the iPhone.

The chief honcho at Omni has stated in this thread that he is bound by a non-disclosure agreement with Apple on matters central to this discussion. If some other entity wants to interpret their NDA in a fashion that they feel entitles them to talk about something, well, that's their call, and their risk. Even if they completely spill the beans about whatever Apple hasn't yet revealed to us, it doesn't give Omni the all-clear to talk.

Yes, this state of affairs may leave you wishing for more information for a few weeks. I'm pretty sure that the plan has not been, as you suggest, 'thrown together' at the last minute, unless Apple has been holding back crucial details. You'd be surprised to see how many programs are doing similar manipulations out of your sight when you turn on some feature or another. I think you can pretty much guarantee that if there's some functionality that lots of customers want that can be implemented readily with software that comes on the Mac from the factory and you happen to need to configure a few things to make it work, Omni is going to give you a convenient way to do it.