View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMac View Post
Anyhow, if something as trivial as "Undo Last Closed Tab" hasn't gotten enough votes to make it in yet, something seems to me to be out of order with whatever system is in use.
We actually tried to implement this for 5.0, but it turned into a bigger architectural/design change than we had time for and we had to shelve it.

The underlying issue is that right now, undo is managed separately for each tab. For the most part, this is great: if you're editing a forum post in this browser window, then need to look up something in another tab and end up typing in a text field there, when you return to this tab window you expect Undo to only undo your local edits here, not in the other tab (which might not even exist anymore).

But now I close this tab, and my focus returns to another tab. Undo is managed by that tab, which doesn't know anything about this tab that I just closed. (And, really, what if I did just want to undo a change I was editing there? Do I really want it to undo closing some unrelated tab?)

OK, so maybe it's just a question of figuring out the appropriate focus. For example, if the focus is the Workspaces window, it seems reasonable that Undo would undo recent changes to that workspace, re-opening tabs, going back in history, etc.

But is that really discoverable? Or convenient? Maybe workspace changes should get their own Undo/Redo menu item in the Workspace menu?

Anyway, that's why it's more complicated than just "remember what you closed last and reopen it when I ask"—it has nothing to do with the feature itself (which is fairly simple), and all to do with figuring out an appropriate way to present that feature through the interface.