View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by recenelloa View Post
I feel this is a very important thing to focus on and there should be an archive section rather than just simply hiding the completed projects out of the Active view.

Also the fact that I must mark it as complete, rather than just having it be complete after all the tasks have been checked off. This is a big waste of time.
As Tim said, projects are not always totally planned out from the beginning. In David Allen's Getting Things Done method, which was the inspiration for OmniFocus (even if it's more flexible than GTD), a project is any outcome that requires more than one physical action to complete. The GTD planning model is that you should specify, for every project, at least one action that will move you closer to completing it, and write that on a context list. Once you've done that, your weekly (or more frequent) review should indicate whether you have, in fact, completed the project, or whether you need to identify the next action to take that will move it toward completion.

In this model, autocompleting projects is a Very Bad Idea. Autocompletion presumes that you have identified all necessary steps when you plan. I don't know about you, but that's not how I work, and I think it's not how most people work. Even my most carefully planned projects seem to need an additional step at some point. If OmniFocus automatically completed them, I'd be in deep trouble much of the time.

If you haven't read Allen's book Getting Things Done or looked at some of the online resources on it, I suggest doing so. It will make many aspects of OmniFocus seem much more sensible than they might seem on first glance.