View Single Post
Hi there,

I'm new to using OmniFocus and I'm having trouble with the structurization of my projects. I'm struggling with the use of folders and partially sequential actions.

For example:

I'm writing a major scientific paper where I can work parallel on many points.

Project: Practical uses of Doomsday Devices. (Sequential)
Action: Get book about the end of the world.
Action: Get book about peace.
Action: Write about the end of the world.
Action: Write about peace.

With this list, I can process topic by topic. But if I had both books at the same time, I could world variantly on both topics and finish "peace" before "end of the world".

Another example:

I'm refurbishing the kitchen. I've already bought paint and a new table, but I'm short of cash for the parquet.

Project: Kitchen
Action: Paint kitchen
Action: Build table
Action: Build chairs
Action: Buy parquet
Action: Get chairs & table out
Action: Lay parquet
Action: Get chairs & table in

I could start with any of the first 3, but the last 4 are sequential. How do I solve this problem? I wish I could define subactions for an action in a project. I like folders, but I'm somehow reluctant to a massive use of them.

I could create a folder "Kitchen" instead of a project. But I would have a lot of single step projects then.

Folder: Kitchen
Project: Build Table
Action: Build Table
Project: Build Chairs
Action: Build Chars
Project: Lay parquet
Action: Buy parquet
Action: Get room
Action: Lay parquet
Action: Move things back in

I'm using OmniFocus for my hobbies too. I'm collecting miniature barbies (Warhammer). Since I can't have subactions, I can't create a single army for each project. I'm working on different armies at the same time, each army has different units, which need to be worked on in different stadiums.

Is there any better way then using folders to organize subprojects?