Thread: Fear of OF/GTD
View Single Post
Early on with my experience with OF, I learned what level of breaking down actions I was comfortable with. In the most strict aspect of GTD, you are supposed to break everything down to its most atomic level of action. However, I found that it became more work to spell out each step of certain activities and then mark them as complete rather than just assume I knew the small steps to complete something. If I had an action to make a PB&J sandwich, I didn't need to list every step along the way to make that sandwich complete.

Your situation sounds like if you had actions to pay your bills and your accounting software is set up in a way to make sure everything gets paid, then I would leave it at that - no need to duplicate all the specific actions in OF where you have to return and mark everything complete. OF can just remind you to head over to your accounting software to make it happen. For example, I do film/DVD production. If I have a project where I need to create a disc, I don't list every action in OF (Import footage, make menus, author DVD, burn disc, etc) since all of those steps happen in the software I use to make the DVDs - it would be extra work to enter all of those actions unnecessarily. But I do use OF to create an action to tell me to make a DVD as a part of a certain project.

And you mention an issue that OF wouldn't have recorded that each specific bill had been paid and how - unless you need some sort of record in OF of completed tasks or your accounting software doesn't have clear alerts if certain bills are unpaid, then I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it gets done, then it shouldn't matter...