View Single Post
Soundsgoodtome, what benefit do you get by marking "cut the front lawn" as "in progress" that you don't get by seeing that it's not yet done? If it's in your list of stuff to do, and you get interrupted, it's still in your list of stuff to do because you haven't done it yet.

The calls/voicemail situation is similar. You had an action "call susan re: potluck" and you did that. When you completed it, you had another action come out from it: "wait to hear back from susan re: potluck".

A checkmark showing that the "call is in progress" isn't "true": the call *isn't* in progress. The call is done, and you're waiting for something to come out of it. If you see an action of "call susan re: potluck", and it has the "in progress" mark, what does that tell me? That I called and left a voicemail and... what? She needs to call me back? I need to call her back later? Do I have to wait for Susan, or can I move ahead?

I fear that a third state is a recipe for ignoring, forgetting, postponing, and generally disturbing my "mind like water" goals.

The more OmniFocus moves away from core GTD principles, even with options to enable/disable them, the more worried I get.

All that said, a mechanism for handling "delegated tasks" or better support for "waiting on" tasks would be appreciated, and I have some ideas I'm working through, which I'll post for comment soon.