View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbkendrick View Post
@santra - I'd be interested in hearing all the things you do with OO every day. While I appreciate it as an outliner, I haven't been able to really break away from using Word. Can you elaborate? Thanks, John
I have used PIMs (personal information managers) since the beautiful, ground-breaking, never-to-be topped, Ecco Pro, only to be seconded by InfoSelect or Bonsai. Ecco Pro was so incredible that it had aliasing (cloned items that were exact pointers, much like DEVONthink's "replicated" items, which are exact clones directly linked).

For years and years, Bonsai, made by Natara, was my workhorse, running on my Toshiba tablet and synced to my Palm. I used it for everything. I had (I think) at least 100 outlines.

Then I switched to a Mac. OmniOutliner is the best replacement I've found so far. There is NOTHING like a flexible, hierarchical outliner.

I only wish that OG had ported OO to the web and/or the iPhone and/or added aliasing a long time ago.

I use OO religiously for work—much better than my IT's firms KB.

Here's a sample of my notes from my Software outline, this being part of what I track and document re OmniOutliner:

- How tos:
* How to convert from Bonsai
* How to ATTACH a file
* How to SET the Outline's DEFAULT FONT
* How to TURN OFF RULER
- Number selected items
* Number a level
* Get rid of bullets in entire document
- Remove direct formatting
* How to COLLAPSE a GRAPHIC (attached link to file)
* How to PASTE items to OF and have it turn into tasks on the fly
automatically

I love OmniOutliner. Not quite as good as Bonsai or Ecco Pro, but what can you do.

Last edited by santra; 2010-03-23 at 05:00 PM..