View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
One of the other problems with making the iPhone app universal is that there would be no way to tell people, "Hey, this is not really the best way to make this work on the iPad. You will be a lot happier on the iPad native version..."

The App Store will make it appear as if the iPhone/iPad universal version is fully supported on the iPad.

My wife tried the "hacked" iPad full screen version of the iPhone app. She preferred it to pixel doubling, but when she tried the native iPad version she commented that it would be tough to convince people how much better the iPad version was without letting them use it. In other words: Give somebody a full screen iPhone version on their iPad, and they're going to be asking, "The iPad version can't be worth another $40, can it?" We both share the opinion that it *is* worth another $40.
A lot of iPhone app developers have created "Lite" versions of an app which are free. They have limited capabilities such as the number of tasks and/or projects. But it allows someone a free way to try out a program before putting down $40.00 on a program like OmniFocus for iPad. I just test drove Pocket Informant Lite for GTD recently. OmniFocus still kept my vote on my iPod touch and my iPad. But I can easily recommend others to try out Pocket Informant Lite.

The only other way I can convince others to try OmniFocus for iPad would be to lend them my iPad. But I really don't want them seeing my task lists so it's a little difficult.

I think an OmniFocus lite for iPad with limited capabilities would really win over a lot of new customers who are hesitant to plop down $40.00.

I remember reading somewhere that Apple is/was considering a separate section in the iTunes store for trial versions of programs.

With that being said, I am very happy with OmniFocus for iPad. Some programs lend themselves to a universal version and other times, it's best done as a completely separate edition.

I know I've gotten way more than forty bucks worth of value from my trio of the desktop, iPhone, and iPad versions of OmniFocus.