Thread: Size of Project
View Single Post
You have two main options, in my opinion.

One is to have a folder that contains all the activities, with a collection of projects (File 2012 federal tax return, Take 2011 IRA distribution, Open new investment account, etc.) You'll probably want to have a single action list in there to handle miscellaneous tasks that don't really rise to the level of being projects.

The other approach which might make sense is to have a single action list in place of that folder, with action groups (nested actions) instead of projects. I use single action lists in place of projects when it's something that has no definite outcome (Pet care, Exercise) and I don't need all of the tools that OmniFocus offers, such as being able to review those "projects" individually, put them on hold, or drop them. No need for a "miscellaneous" catch-all in this case, as those actions just go in the SAL.

Probably the former approach is better for this particular scenario, but for lighter weight jobs the SAL approach keeps the number of projects down (which means the names of the minor things aren't popping up in project name lists).

OmniFocus makes it relatively easy to convert between one form and the other, so it isn't a big deal if you decide the initial approach you've taken isn't the right one. To convert from a single action list to a folder + projects, create a folder, select the top level actions and groups and outdent them via cmd-[ (converting them to projects), then move them to the new folder. To go from the folder to a single action list, create a single action list, then select all the projects and drag them into the single action list.