View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Sorry for the confusion this caused - the release notes that appear in the "There's an update available" window mention this. If there's a way to make it more obvious, let us know and we're certainly open to changing our process. :-)
Certainly that information belonged in the release notes, but it's not like I read release notes all that carefully in the first place, let alone memorize them! Basically what I got from the release notes was, "Yay, Bonjour syncing!" An hour later I went to happily configure it.

Maaaaybe I would have remembered seeing in the release notes that Bonjour syncing with iPhone was not yet ready. But I didn't. And it says right in the syncing prefs that you can do it. Okay, fine, the version number didn't jive, but it didn't even remotely occur to me to compare the version numbers, because since when do you advertise functionality in prefs for a version of your software that isn't actually available yet?

Since the App Store launch, I guess ... app releases delayed beyond developers' control ... it's a whole new thing! :)

But this problem can be anticipated. In the future, when OF functionality relies on an unreleased version of Mobile OF ... just make it a little clearer? And/or how about more graceful failure? Call me crazy, but how about an error message like, "Mobile OF can't do Bonjour syncing!" That would have tipped me off and saved me an hour. I'm just sayin'.

Yada yada. I'm going on and on and it's really not that important.