View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxldot View Post
I didn't mean to start a war over syntax/ interpretation :P Based on my interpretation of Dropped, I prefer to use On Hold for templates, although I understand that the way Dropped hides the folder/ projects is actually more conducive (in some ways) to a template folder. As with all things, I have my own interpretation of canon, and I operate on that (though I'm happy to make it an option for those that don't work the same way). I still think that a dropped <anything> means it is gone and not coming back, but I'm certainly not religious about it, even in my own database.

I'm also 100% in agreement that it depends largely on how you use OF. That's really the power behind the software —*everyone uses it in a way that better fits their mental model/ processes. I exclude my templates folder from most perspectives (and really focus on only available tasks, since I work so hard to create a good project structure on the front-end that allows me to ignore the unavailable tasks until they're front-and-center), but still want it in the main project list so that I am actively making sure the template projects aren't getting stale. To each their own!

Right on. I don't think anyone is looking to have a war either. But a lot of people read these forums looking for info and tips on how to use OF more efficiently and effectively, so I do think it's useful to see the underlying rationale behind different people's approaches to using the tool. I've been using OF since it was Kinkless GTD. But I continue to learn a lot of great stuff here.

Indeed, WHPalmer has taught me a lot about how to use OF better in the years I've been reading this forum (probably, he's the person who explained that putting the templates in dropped would get me to the behavior I was looking for). It may well be that the "on hold" category didn't even exist when I first started using dropped. I can't remember. But it seems like either "dropped" or "on hold" was added along the way. That may well have affected the decision to put the templates in dropped.

In any event, the goal should be to help people get to the result they are looking for, and I want to thank you again for your awesome contribution to that.

Best,

KS